To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Thursday 3 August 2017

A-Z of Fetish Artists - Zach

Zach - The Grip of The Vice
 We commence our survey of the letter 'Z' with a mild mystery. This startling image is labelled Zach but is unquestionably the work of Rex, in fact it heads up my A-Z article on that superb artist. I need not elaborate on what I said about this image there, save to add that it's actually a reworking of a photograph from the 'Drummer' era, so we can't credit Rex with the imaginative, underlying idea. I have the photo somewhere and I'll add it here if I can find it.
Zach - Save Water
This picture is also labelled Zach and although it's the same logo, it's not obviously by the same hand, although the level of technical skill is comparable and it's an equally striking composition. The treatment of the belt is very pleasing to the eye. A significant part of the allure of denim jeans is the 'worn and washed' look of the seams which highlight the shaping of the body inside them, but it's extremely hard to recreate it on paper. Nigel Kent is quite successful at it, Zach gets a 'good effort'.

It's quite possible that Zach is a pseudonym for Rex's work, both images were published in Drummer and he may have adopted the name for that portfolio. But I've not seen any other images by him in the style of the second picture. Is this the work of a naive pirate? I say naive because no-one could pass off the clamp image as anything other than Rex!

Answers on a postcard please - or via my comments feature below.

For more articles in this series click on the A-Z label below or search for specific artists using the index page or search boxes (in the navigation banner and top right)

No comments: